"new" rides

It's not an everyday occurrence; much more like every couple of decades, that I get a new ride. And when I do it's never been "new" it's always "new to me". I mostly blame my Scottish ancestors and being raised by folks that saved everything because the great depression taught them what real privation was like.

Nevertheless-the new to me hunting truck:


It's not going to be replacing the tried and trusty subaru just yet as it has had some "deferred maintenance" issues to be taken care of before I can consider it to be completely dependable for everyday travel.

That aside, the seemingly obvious issue is that it doesn't have 4wd. Honestly I didn't realize how much I really depended on my subaru's AWD until I took the truck turkey hunting a few days ago and nearly turned into an unplanned campout! Obviously I was able to get back to civilization but not without getting re-acquainted to RWD truck physics.

So after reassessing the tread on the rear I think a set of these is in order:

The truck already has a locking rear diff, which will make a ton of difference and is probably the only reason I didn't have to camp out the other night. I won't be doing much over-landing but it should suffice on forrest/logging roads that I frequent if I just get a few bags of sand to keep some weight over the axle.

The real question now is the pooches.

My initial thought was something like this:


A plus is that I already have the ruff tuff kennels and could see building the drawer boxes. I'd just need to find a cap and a quick search on craigslist already shows me this wouldn't be too difficult to find.

The other thought was a dog box:


I've been inside a camper shell in the summer and quite simply it sucks. I'm not sure how insulated the tool box is, but it could be much worse. 

They do make this "summertime dog box" which might be a better option:
(for a bit of levity-this summertime box is listed as being "extremely lightweight at only 110#". Not that I can't move that, but that's bordering on what I would no longer call lightweight)

Comments

  1. Flint, rule #1 is dogs ride in the front, not the back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had to modify rule #1 slightly.

    Besides, how can I ground-swat out the passenger window if I've got a dog there!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment