How it should work (pt 2)

I am not breed-blind.

I love dogs.  I love working with dogs. I love seeing a dog do what it was inherently bred to do.

I am not species blind either. I've known from childhood that I enjoy horses just as much; but I also know what it takes to maintain one and so never had one of my own. 

I have entertained the thought that eventually my daughter (much like every young girl I've ever known) will want a horse. While we'll cross that bridge when we come to it,  when I do allow myself to think about it I imagine riding cross-country equestrian with my daughter beside me; and that being one of the ultimate experiences for us to share together. I don't know that she'll be a Georgia Pelligrini, and the odds are that she won't-so I don't want to force my vision onto her.

Damn autonomy of 21st century social norms in western society!

Nevertheless-back to the point: I am not breed blind.  In fact I am probably going to have to open my sights up a great deal when I look for my next addition to the kennel.  I carry enough titanium in my ankle to build at least a good part of a tour-de-france bike; subsequently I have come to be judicious about the amount of walking I do without the aid of NSAIDs.  If there is one thing you have to do with springers, it's walk.  One benefit of the farther ranging pointing breeds-they do a lot of the walking for you.

I found this vid on Dogs and Doubles:


This is a Berg Brothers dog.

I know about the Berg brothers and consider them a top choice for my next dog, particularly if I decide to go with a setter. One that would suit me would not run quite as rangy as the pointer shown above because the tracts I have access too are not nearly as wide open and I don't have a horse to follow them on (see above).  In the foot-hunting world 60-100 acres is more reasonable; and 15-20 more likely for some of the smaller tracts. Even the 600 acres I lease isn't really enough space for a pointer who might range as far as 1/2 mile before making a turn.

Dogs are usually shot during deer season around here. 

Comments