Psychology of previous investment

Illustrative of going down to the rabbit hole of blogs and gun-dogs:

Recent video post on DogsandDoubles:




I assumed I was watching a UK production because they seem to have a lock on the documentation of all things spaniel (much like we in the US do all things 'pointer').  I'm used to seeing dogs and handlers I will never meet but who provide my quasi-correspondance course in working rough shooting dogs. I should have known I was wrong just from the range of the dog-far more leggy than what I'm used to seeing in Paul French videos.

The range is what I expect and generally see from my Emmie.  However, their pattern is far superior, not to mention being steady.  I appreciate the control and I know that I am the main reason I don't see it. Having a steady dog with a tight pattern is a good thing, and they should rightfully be proud. It takes considerable work both to create and to maintain.

Not only do I know the folks (and the dog) but met and trained with them at a Paul McGaugh spaniel clinic in 2012.  In fact one of our conversations turned out to be one of the most valuable at the entire clinic and I have mulled over it ever since and have come to this conclusion:

My primary issues with training my dogs: psychology of previous investment (I am going to repurpose it from its original definition).

Investment:
A trip to the training field (20 min drive).
Birds, usually a 50 min drive each way.
Price of birds (quail = $3.50 w/min of 12,  Pheasant = $15, chukar = $10 ).
Prep the training field for the particular training session.
Time away from my family to train.
The sum; time and money (time being the more valuable) is not inconsequential.

Set up field for a steadying drill.
Hup dog.
Cast dog.
--------------at this point the psychology of previous investment comes in and I freely admit to my failings as a dog trainer.

Let's say, from the get-go, the dog doesn't do a good pattern-she lines straight out, thereby missing parts of the field.
I SHOULD hup her and put her butt right back in heel.
Regain control.
Re-establish goals.
If necessary I SHOULD discontinue that particular training goal and go into remedial training before returning to the field.

One of the reasons I have a spaniel rather than a pointing breed; my access to training fields is somewhat limited and I can do a lot of work in my typical suburban yard.  So when I'm in the field and find that what I had been working on in the yard isn't quite sticking, the tendency is to push through rather than step back; introducing a vicious cycle.

What to do?

For starters, I'm going to build a pigeon loft....

Comments